Sunday, September 16, 2007

Try to Keep Up, Turtle

So the question was: If the turtle isn't going anywhere, shouldn't he be taken out of the race?

He's not taken out of the race but he's left on his own. Because what I didn't tell you is at this annual hometown event, it wasn't just the race, there was a parade, free sno cones and a barbecue. Once the turtles who were going to place made it across the line, then everyone else scooped up their losing turtles and went about their days. Better yet, some left their turtles to live the lives they were going to live before the race was even an idea. I wanted my turtle to win, to at least cross the finish line but with him not budging I should have known that I needed to go my way and he needed to go his. Me watching him and willing him to move was a fruitless effort. Maybe it just wasn't the right time or the right turtle.

Maybe he would've crossed that line eventually but I'm sure by that time I would be eating my third sno cone. I would be participating in the parade. I would have forgotten about the race and know if he came looking for me, he would never be able to catch up unless I decided to slow down.

And I don't really see that happening.

No comments: